I’m an American college student and I plan to study abroad next semester. Am I required to have U.S. health insurance while I’m living in another country.

Yes, unless you qualify for another exception. In general, U.S. citizens with a tax home outside the U.S. and who are residents of a foreign country for the entire taxable year are exempt from the requirement to have health insurance in the U.S. But if you are a student temporarily living abroad for part of the year, and don’t qualify for any other exceptions, you would be required to have health insurance or else pay a penalty.

Posted in: Young Adults and Students